Bishop Alfred M. Smith was born September 7, 1930, in Detroit, Michigan. He is the oldest son of eight children born to the union of the late Bishop Alfred H. Smith and the late Mother Minnie J. Smith.
He was educated in the Detroit Public Schools system. He graduated from the Detroit Bible College in 1956, attended the University of Michigan in 1960, and attended Wayne State University from 1965-1971. On Sunday, July 13, 1986 Bishop Smith received and honorary Doctorate of Divinity degree from Trinity Hall College and Seminary.
He received Jesus Christ and was filled with the baptism of the Holy Ghost at the age of fifteen on July 15, 1945 under the leadership of his father who was pastor at the Church of the Living God. He was called to preach on August 18, 1946 in the city of Detroit.
Bishop Smith was ordained to the Gospel Ministry in Cleveland, Ohio, in 1949 by the late Bishop M. L. Jewell. His pastoral duties included the House of God Church in Ecorse, Michigan, Shiloh Chapel COGIC in Detroit, Michigan, and Pentecostal Tabernacle COGIC Flint, Michigan.
“The steps of a good man are ordered by the Lord: and he delighteth in his way.” Psalms 37:23 KJV
On January 25, 1955, he joined the COGIC at the Indiana Avenue COGIC under the leadership of Elder O. A. Evans and was appointed assistant to the pastor in 1957. He founded Shiloh Chapel COGIC in Detroit on July 22, 1962 and in 1972 was appointed by Bishop C. L. Anderson Jr. to the Pentecostal Tabernacle COGIC in Flint, Michigan. On January 9th, 1982, Bishop Smith spearheaded a building fund drive, which resulted in the removal and replacement of the old church with a new edifice. The work was completed in seven months and dedicated to the Glory of God by Bishop C. L. Anderson Jr. on August 29, 1982. The mortgage was burned six years later.
Bishop Smith was appointed Executive Secretary to the Great Lakes Jurisdiction COGIC in 1966, District Superintendent of the Fourth District in 1968, General Sunday School Superintendent in 1970, and Chairman of the Great Lakes Jurisdiction Board of Elders in 1971, First Administrative Assistant and District Superintendent of the Royal District in 1975. Bishop Smith served as a staff member of the COGIC, National Registration Department, Secretary of the National Ways and Means Commission, member of the National Standards and Jurisdiction Extension Commission, member of the General Assembly Executive Committee and member of the National Council Judiciary Board.
Bishop Smith has also served his community in the following areas:
- Coordinator of the Career Guidance Development program for Burroughs Corporation from 1967 to 1969,
- Coordinator of the United Foundation of Logistics Operations for General Motors Corporation from 1972 to 1983,
- Coordinator of the United Foundation of Logistics Operations for General Motors Corp. from 1978-1980.
- General Motors Corporation corporate staff, retired on January 1, 1988.
- Hosted a luncheon with Governor Jennifer Granholm for the VIP Mentoring Program.
Bishop Smith continues to work with the community in many areas.
Bishop Smith was married to Roberta Williams Smith on October 29, 1955, to this union three children were born, a son, Daryl Michael, and two daughters, Beverly Gail and Marsha Renee. After the passing of his first wife, Bishop Smith became the devoted husband of Linda S. Anderson-Smith. His family has now grown to include a daughter-in-law, Delphine Smith, two son-in-laws, Larry Otis and Anthony Brown, stepdaughter, Terrilyn Henry and stepson, Brad David Henry. He also has seven grandsons, Daryl Michael II, Kelvin, Dwaine, Terrance, Robert, Khairi Jamal, and Khiari Te’rhen, and a granddaughter Koryn Bailey.